Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What does it take to be a favourite quilt shop?

I've mentioned before that I like to seek out quilt shops as we travel. Last year when we were in Spokane, for example, I had a list of quilt shops I wanted to visit and one day we put them into our TomTom and set out to find them. We did find them all - except one that turned out to be an internet only store that was out of some one's home...but that's a blog entry for another day. If I am travelling for work I often try to allow an extra 15 - 20 minutes on the journey to make a quick stop if I know of, or come across, a quilt store en route.

Once I've found the shop, I soon know whether I am going to want to come back. How so? Here are a few of my thoughts...


I consider the fabric - does the store have a good variety?

  • do they carry fabric collections?
  • does the colour selection connect with the what I like to use?
  • how are the fabrics displayed and organized
Does the store inspire me? - I must admit, I like to see samples of inspiration hanging on the walls, from the ceiling and other shelves or tables around the store.

  • I do find that a good selection of patterns along with fabric pre-packaged in kits very enticing.
How am I treated? - is the staff friendly, helpful, available. If I am looking around or ask for something, do they tell me they are closing in 10 minutes?

 When I am in my 'quilting mode' I am looking to enter a quilting community, one where I feel like I fit. This is my hobby, where I get to spend some time doing something I can get lost in and be creative, even if only for a short period of time.

You'll will be able to follow a few more of my favourite quilt shops along the way.

No comments: